The arch is one of Tusculum's most visible landmarks, visible from Highway 107 and directly across the street from the historic Ye Olde Tusculum Eatery. Though rarely used as an entry, the Arch remains one of the College's most familiar symbols.
In 1917 a group of local businessmen, alumni, and students constructed a stone archway at the very front of the Tusculum campus. The arch stands at the beginning of the walkway leading to McCormick Hall and the center of campus.
"Following the American declaration of war in April 1917, patriotic fever swept the Tusculum College campus as is did the rest of the country. It was in this atmosphere that the Arch...was built."
--From Glimpses of Tusculum: A Pictorial History of Tusculum College, by Donal J. Sexton, Jr. and Myron J. "Jack" Smith, Jr.